Monday, March 26, 2007

WHAT LATI TAUGHT ME

LATI took me back to square one. The training forced me to stop, think, evaluate, learn, and keep on learning by using the tools I acquired during the training.

My quote comes to mind…“Learning without thought is labor lost.” Confucius.

One of the most useful and valuable assignments for me was evaluating basic reference, and subject web and print resources. Questions such as, what kind of questions can this resource answer? How frequent is it updated? What is the purpose of the site, its strength and weaknesses? helped me create a mental outline of what I should look for when evaluating a resource. This assignment also gave me the opportunity to explore resources that otherwise I would not have and to discover new ones.

Instructors provided students with a valuable list of reference, print, and web resources to explore.

The source evaluation rubric and criteria for evaluation web sites and reference materials were all extremely helpful to me. I plan to continue to use these tools to enhance my job performance and to thus provide better customer service.

Example: I explored NOAH (New York Online Access to Health) and added it to my collection list of important resources. NOAH provides health information in English and Spanish. NOAH text comes from reputable and authoritative web-based resources such as the American Cancer Association. URL: http://www.noah-health.org/
Example: The Math Forum @ Drexel is another great site. It’s an online question and answer service for math students and teachers. This is a fabulous site for anyone regardless of age and math knowledge who needs to teach or improve their math skills. http://www.mathforum.org/

No comments: